TNLC 2014 will begin in the morning of Tuesday, December 2 and end in the mid-afternoon on Thursday, December 4. Optional site visits will be available outside the set conference program.
The conference program will emphasize three Overarching Themes:
- Perspectives from the Global South
- Youth Employment
- Economic Development
The Plenary Sessions will focus on:
- Strategies for combating youth unemployment
- University roles in advancing social and economic development
- Student leader visions and perspectives
- Awarding of the 2014 MacJannet Prizes for Global Citizenship
- Adoption of conference resolution
The Breakout Sessions will be defined by five tracks:
- Youth Leadership – explores the relationship between higher education and youth leadership including such topics as youth employment, entrepreneurship, and student exchange programs
- Rewards and Incentives – examines rewards and incentives for university heads, faculty, staff, students, community partners and funders who are committed to university civic engagement
- Impacts and Measurement – gives participants an opportunity to share their efforts to measure university civic engagement activities and their impacts on institutions of higher educations, the communities in which they are located and society at large.
- Social Inclusion – focuses on the relationship between university civic engagement and social inclusion including such topics as indigenous knowledge and faculty and student recruitment, retention and success
- Meetings and Exchanges – provides opportunities for partners, networks and individuals to exchange ideas, visions and strategies.
Themes transcending all the sessions include technology, political dimensions/context and public policy.
The conference program will include ample time for networking throughout the day and evening networking and social events. There will also be the opportunity to take part in site visits to community projects of Cape Higher Education Consortium institutions outside of the conference program.
Check back for more detailed information about the conference program in the coming weeks!